i am on the verge, people

I am seated in the student union. I came here to work on homework, as many students do. There's always a little white noise here: the sound of the elevators humming, plastic bags rustling in the bookstore, soft chatter from students engaged in club meetings - and, of course, the tapping of laptop keys. 

But occasionally, there is the noise that is decidedly non-ambient. Sometimes the noise is brief: a blender whirring at the coffee shop, or someone dropping a textbook. These are tolerable - understandable, even. Such noises are unavoidable in many cases.

Now let me fill you in on my current position. 

Upon walking into the union, I chose a booth. Not because I'm picky about comfortable seating, but because this is one of the few tables that have electrical outlets nearby - and in true Sophie fashion, I have forgotten to charge my laptop. 

I unloaded my books and set to work taking notes on this week's material: geostationary satellites and the history of the internet and any number of other things I will immediately forget upon receiving my degree.

Now, of course, my attention has been pulled to something even less pleasant (if you can believe it): the lovely group seated at the booth directly behind me.

I have not yet turned around to count them, but I estimate there to be at least five of them based solely on the amount of noise they are generating. The conversation topics in the last hour have ranged from Tom Brady to one of the individuals' sisters to (in a deliciously ironic twist) how annoyingly loud the Pollo Tropical employees are. 

Additionally, a second group seems to be competing with the first for the title of Highest Volume Level Ever Generated - this second group is seated adjacent to my booth at a separate table, loudly eating and talking and occasionally screaming at each other.

Currently, I am struggling to maintain my composure. Currently, the Lord has seen fit to bless me with my own personal hellish soundscape; a tumult clearly audible despite my headphones pumping Tears for Fears into my ears at full volume (likely causing permanent damage). 

Currently, I am beginning to finally understand the meaning of "going postal". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moshi Monsters Season 2 Mission 4 Walkthrough

Moshi Monsters: Season 2 Mission 5 Walkthrough

Moshi Monsters: Season 2, Mission 3 Walkthrough